Friday, May 12, 2006

Retiring in the Philippines: Health Care Update

TriCare Overseas: Good news & Bad news

One of my veteran buddies came into the office yesterday with some news on how TriCare is doing here in Angeles City. It seems that two hospitals, Pamana in Angeles City proper, and Mt. Carmel halfway to the city of San Fernando are both accepting and treating retirees under the TriCare banner.

We’ll see how long these two facilities continue to support us. What concerns me is that neither charges up front for any care, which I thought was a no-no under TriCare Overseas rules. But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?

My bud told me that he actually had a colonoscopy done at Mt. Carmel last week. The doctor excised four polyps, and performed a biopsy discovering that they are pre-cancerous. He paid nothing up front and as far as he’s concerned everything is hunky-dory.

I’m going to keep my fingers crossed, but I’ll be keeping an eye on how it all works out. I’ve also heard some bad news from another veteran about Pamana. He said he tried to use them as a TriCare patient and they basically gave him the brush-off. From what I can see the news is mixed so far.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Tricare Management Activity has trashed Tricare in the Philippines. See how they have attacked your medical benefit. Join us at, http://tricareoverseasphilippines.wordpress.com/

PhilippinesPhil said...

Yes, Tricare in the Philippines is a much different animal than it once was. When people ask me now for advice on if they should retire here I tell them to be very careful, that their decision should include the factor of personal and familial health. If anyone has a serious condition or expects to have one then I wouldn't come unless you have a boatload of money. Hospitals, doctors and clinics demand cash on the barrel head and good luck using a credit card. On this issue, compared to how it was when I first arrived in '02 we've gone from paradise to the other extreme.